So you’ve heard that replacing your water main is something you should consider, you may have seen some signs that it should be done, but you aren’t quite sure, you don’t know how it works, and you don’t know where to start. Well, start with us and a trenchless water main replacement! Here are “need-to-knows” on replacing your water main, and how JJ’s Plumbing takes care of the job.
First off, why replace your water main?
Your water main may use polybutyelene piping. If this is true, you will want to replace your water main before anything happens. Polybutyelene is a type of plastic resin that was used in water supply piping between the late 70s and mid-90s. If your house was built during this time, chances are, you have polybutyelene piping. So why repair it? Oxidants in water supplies, like chlorine, react with polybutyelene piping, which can cause them to flake and become weak/brittle. The result can be thin cracks in the piping, which reduce the strength of the water main. The piping system can end up failing without any warning, leading to flooding and damage to your household and property.
Another reason for replacing your water main is a burst or leak in the water line. It is best to replace the whole line, versus patching it.
Signs to look for when suspecting a water main leak
Here’s what to notice if you suspect a leak:
- Your lawn is mushy or wet
- There is running water from the ground
- There is water seeping through concrete cracks/your foundation
- There is water leaking into your basement.
Steps to take if you suspect a water main leak
Contact JJ’s Plumbing immediately, or call the city so the water can be turned off from the city shut off.
So… how does the process work?
Here are the steps we take for a water main replacement:
- JJ’s Plumbing will come over, investigate the leak and give a free, no-obligation quote
- When the quote is accepted, we will book your appointment and make another visit to take care of business!
- JJ’s Plumbing will dig around the city shut off, at approximately 3-5 feet near the location
- We will use a jackhammer to create a 6-inch diameter hole around the water line entering the house and main shut off (in the mechanical room)
- We will cut the water line below the main water shut off, and after the city shut off
- Then, we will fish an airline cable through the existing water main from the inside to the exterior
- We will attach the new water line and have a tow truck pull the new line through the existing line
- We will reconnect the new water line to the city shut off, as well as to the interior plumbing
- Finally, we will backfill the hole we created near the city shut off.
There is minimal mess near your property with our trenchless water main pull!
For a limited time, we’re offering $100 off your water main replacement service! Book for your free quote today.