It’s officially summer! The season is a great time to check in on your home plumbing system, but it is also a time where the rising temperature can lead to an increase of water usage. So let’s break it down in 2 parts: 1) Summer plumbing system check-in, and 2) helpful tips to save water and give your Hydro bill a break!
Summer Plumbing System Check-in
Here are some tips for you to stay on top of your plumbing system over the summer:
- Check all of your appliances and fixtures plumbed into your water system for leakage.
- More fun time spent outside means extra dirty clothes (especially if you have children). Check your washing machine hoses for leaks, cracks and bulges. A rubber washing machine hose should be replaced about every 3 years.
- Check your drain spouts and gutters to ensure that they are clean and free of blockages.
- Figure out where your water shut off valves are and how to shut off water to your toilets, sinks, and any water using appliances, or how to turn off the water to your whole house.
- Learn how to take care of small problems yourself – every home owner should have a plumber’s tool kit that consists of a plunger, auger, pipe wrench and sewer snake.
- Repair any damage or problems you see right away! JJ’s Plumbing can also provide annual maintenance inspections to prevent large problems from occurring in the future.
Helpful Tips to Save Water, Energy and Money this Summer
- Load your dishwasher to capacity – do not do half loads!
- When going on vacation, turn down the temperature of your water heater to save energy
- Do your laundry in cold water
- Water your lawn in the early morning or in the evening when the sun is almost down. Watering your lawn mid-day can waste water, since hot temperatures cause water to evaporate quickly
- Keep your showers short!
- When entertaining family and friends, don’t let the extra food go down your drains and clog them.
- Use low flow toilets.
We are all looking forward to the summer, but it’s important to be responsible for your home’s plumbing system ever season of the year.
No matter the season, JJ’s Plumbing is here to help 24/7. Contact us for any questions or immediate plumbing concerns you may have by calling 604-479-2232 or visiting jjs.plumbing/contact